Friday, August 20, 2010

Insensitive headbands and Fear Tactics.

I like things that are intimidating. Is this because I’m insecure at times? Yes, probably. I won’t deny it. I like threatening things because it makes me feel empowered. This is my approach to situations that are out of my control. Hearing “Mom has cancer” made me lightheaded and nauseous; I paced back in forth in my crappy little internship office, hands shaking, and tears uncontrollably rolling down my face. I’ve taken on a new approach to combat overwhelming emotions: my method of defense is not a wall, but a face and an attitude!

PMC weekend was amazing. Weather was perfect, legs were feeling good, and my emotions were high. This weekend 5 years ago my mother found out she had cancer and quickly began her first chemo treatment. It was Friday night: Pre 110 mile feast, PMC opening ceremony, and sweet little bike expo! I found a headband that I had to have. It had skulls all over it [see image]. I like skulls and immediately showed off my newly acquired fashion to a group of my coworkers who got me involved in the ride one year prior. One replied “isn’t that a little insensitive?” Insensitive? Where have you been living? Skulls are cool!

Ok, yes, skulls are cool, but what is my fascination with them? Here are a few of my many reasons:

1- I like pirates. We have a lot in common: They use violence to get what they want. I use fear tactics to get what I want

2- I have a fascination with paleontology. I found a bone in my backyard as a kid and convinced myself it was that of an Indian....pretty sure it was a chipmunk thou.

3 - Hard core bike gangs rock skulls on their leather jackets, and I have a personal mission to be a leader of a cycling bike gang with a sweet ass skull kit with crazy helmet skull covers.

So is this skull fashion just a generational gap thing? Or is it a symbol of death and I'm an insensitive bitch for sporting it during a charity ride?

Let me explain my reasoning on why I think Im right: I ride the PMC because I have no idea how cancer works, let alone how one would cure it. I wear a skull headband [and shoes and t-shirts for that matter] because I believe that to walk the walk and talk the talk you've gotta have a look that backs it up. I want to look cancer straight in the face and say: “Cancer, me and my bike gang are taking you down.” And I want to look that potential PMC donor in the face and say: “I’m a freakin pirate! Give the PMC your money for much needed cancer research or I will take it from you”

Fear Tactics. It worked for George Bush, and I believe it can work for the PMC.

2 comments:

  1. I think that the skulls are a symbol of humans long gone before us and the stark reality that this is what we end up being and is what's underneath this flesh making us fragile but at the same time it scares other humans to think of death and makes them fear your fierceness. We sport it staring down death and saying "I'm not afraid what can you do to me except I don't exist anymore. " so while I live I am going to rebel like a SOB! Let no one dare to impose upon me that those who go after me may remember, have courage and live!
    All rights reserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said Tam! thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete