Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cancer: Its a dirty word

Oh no. It's Cancer? 
I am so sorry. 
Yes, that's awful. 
Do they know what stage? 
Where is it?
.... Every time I have these conversations I'm jolted back to all my personal encounters with it. A dark cloud seemingly pops over my head and I'm reminded of the fears, the confusion, the loss and sometimes the glorious victories. 
A very dear friend of mine (now ex roommate-sigh) mother was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer just this year. Every cancer sucks, but it sucks even more when your doctors don't have a clear path of attack for this nasty bug. My old roommate lives here in Boston, her siblings spread throughout the country, but her parents lives in Texas. Its hard to deal with these things up close and personal let alone miles and miles away, so she has recently made the decision to leave her life here and move back to be with her mother.
I happened across this PMC blog post today about a recent advancement at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and their research on pancreatic cancer. These scientists (see Emmet Brown)
think they have found some loophole (flux capacitor?) in how the cancer cells grow....or something. I'm not really sure. I cant understand it, but hey that's why I ride a bike, right?
Check out how awesome DFCI is and then head on over and send me a DONATION :)
Also, send some good vibes, prayers, and cancer fighting power to the Rainwater's.

http://www.pmc.org/blog/2013/3/29/dana-farber-scientists-find-potential-loophole-pancreatic-cancer-defenses
www.pmc.org/profile/LH0121

No comments:

Post a Comment